There’s nothing more powerful than speaking your truth and nothing more important for so many reasons.
Here’s a few:
- You are not here for people to like you, you are here to be you.
- It feels better to be disliked for being your authentic self than to be liked for being some made-up version of yourself that you fake for praise.
- True connection can only happen when someone likes you for being the real you.
- People don’t like to be uncomfortable. You are here to shake things up. Anything or anyone that doesn’t fit the mold, creates discomfort. You’re not supposed to fit-in. You’re here to change things, you are your purpose.
- When you morph into a version of yourself that you think people will like better than the real one, you sell yourself out. That’s called self-abandonment. Nothing has more of a devastating impact on your emotional health than that.
Take it from me.
At your age, I was a chameleon. I read the room and became, whatever TF I thought the people in that room would want me to be. That led to a whole bunch of psychological pain, and kinda became a logistical pain in the ass, too.
When I was younger, I spent most of my time at The Ballet Theatre of Scranton, dancing. Naturally, I made a lot of friends at dance. I also had friends at school. I NEVER could invite the two groups to one birthday party, because I was a totally different person depending on which group I was with at the time. So, if for no other reason, speak your truth starting today—so that you can have one birthday party this year, and be done with it!